The Municipality is looking for artwork to be featured on street banners
2022 Street Banner Program
Calling all Fort McMurray Wood Buffalo artists and creative individuals of all ages and skill levels! The 2022 Street Banner program is open and accepting artwork submissions until July 29.
Artwork will be selected by a panel of community organizations and the designs will be displayed on street banners throughout the Region from fall 2022 to spring 2023. Selected design recipients will receive a $500 artist design fee and a screened banner.
Design theme: Northern spirit
Share a design that captures our Northern Spirit and showcases the dynamic cultural fabric of the region. Wood Buffalo has strong global connections, and vibrant culture that supports a diverse region rich in history.
Our Northern Spirit is dynamic and adds to the cultural diversity of languages, traditions, celebrations, sports, activities, and landscapes that can be found here in Fort McMurray Wood Buffalo.
This theme can recognize the coming together of community through a number of events which include but are not limited to the Arctic Winter Games and the International Decade of Indigenous Languages.
View the the full program guide to learn more about the program – Street Banner Program Guide
- Submissions can include creatively designed digital or artistic artwork. Photography will not be accepted
- Minimum finished artwork size must maintain a proportional scale of 19cm x 59.7 cm (7.5” x 23.5”). Artwork to be submitted on 130 lb cold press art paper. Art Paper can be picked-up
- Digital designs should be a minimum of 300 dpi as .JPG, and EPS or AI files
- Use colours that are deep, saturated and provide contrast
- Artistic design to fill the entire space of the art paper, from edge to edge (no borders)
- Avoid detailed design on the bottom 7.6cm (3”) of art paper as selected entries will have logo placement added during fabrication that will overlay on design
- Consider scale and distance of the viewing audience and use large scale images. Text if used should be one – two words only and support the depiction of design
Artwork paper and submission process
Art paper needed to complete your submission can be picked up at the Culture and Social Development branch located on the fourth floor of the Jubilee Building (9909 Franklin Avenue). Completed banner submissions can also be returned to this location.
Rural artists can contact their local Municipal Offices on weekdays between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to pick up art paper and drop off completed submissions.
Submissions should also be accompanied by the completed Artist Information, Waiver and Photo Release forms.
The deadline for submissions is 4 p.m. Friday, July 29, 2022
- Participants are limited to a maximum of two entries
- Participants must be a resident of and residing in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
- Artwork must stay within the theme and limitations as indicated (scale, colour, design parameters)
- Digital designs should be a minimum of 300 dpi as .JPG, EPS or AI files. Email submissions to not exceed 10MB
- Original artwork is required. Photographs or mechanical reproductions (e.g. scan) of artwork will not be accepted
- On the back of each submission, clearly include:
- full name
- age (if under 18)
- phone number and
Banner selection process
- Artwork will be chosen by a selection panel made up of representatives from community organizations
- Selected submission will be notified on or before August 10, 2022
- Chosen artwork will be professionally digitalized and transferred on to a 76.2cm x 238.76cm (30” x 94”) banner. Banner placement maybe on a singular or double banner pole
- Selected banner design recipients will receive a $500.00 artist design fee and a screened banner