Friends of the Suncor Energy Centre for the Perfoming Arts
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Suncor Energy Centre for the Performing Arts offers summer arts camps for children and youth. The funding for these programs is generously provided by the Friends of the Suncor Energy Centre of the Performing Arts through a RMWB community grant. The programs support creative thinking, help to boost self-esteem, provide a sense of accomplishment in the participants and foster and develop lifelong friendships. Creating art can be beneficial throughout all stages of life.
The Sensory and Somatic Poetry Camp takes place August 8-14, 2021. It is a Literary Arts Camp that focuses on creating interactive and sensory poetry based in nature. Students will use sensory activities to create individual poems throughout the day then perform them at the end of each day.
The outcome goals of this program include:
- Participants will experience an innovative and engaging learning experience utilizing poetry as a form of expression
- The participants will be able to share their poems with others in a meaningful way that will boast self-awareness and self-confidence
- The participants will have fun, make friends and create lasting memories
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
This is a formal mentoring program where a literary artist will train a mentee to learn and develop the program for future years.
- The mentee will learn how to participate in, observe and use hands-on experience to gain real life lessons.
- The mentee will learn basic project management, reflection and how to build a lesson plan
- The mentee will enhance arts in the Wood Buffalo community
This program offers an emerging professional artist the guidance of a mentor with a lifetime of talent and experience to share. This opportunity will enhance a local emerging artist’s repertoire and will allow literary arts programs to thrive in our region.
ABOUT THE VENUE
The Sensory and Somatic Poetry Camp will take place at the Suncor Energy Centre for the Performing Arts (230 Powder Drive). The camp will utilize the arts studio, gymnasium space and outdoor space (weather dependent).
The mentee will be paid a fee of $30.00/hour with a commitment of 50 hours. The mentee will be instructed, guided and taught by the Mentor for the following:
- 3 hours of pre-camp preparation via phone or video conference
- Sunday August 8th: 2 hours of pre-camp preparation
- Monday August 9th-Friday August 13th:
- 8am-9am: Daily Preparation
- 9am-3:30pm: Camp Execution
- 3:30-4:30pm: Daily Debrief and Learnings
Total Compensation: $1,500.00
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
- All applications must be emailed to the SECPA General Manager at: [email protected]
- Use the subject heading: “Poetry Arts Camp Mentorship Opportunity_[Your Name]”
- All applications must include
- Your name, contact phone number, email address and mailing address
- Artistic statement-the philosophy behind how you approach your creative work
- A summary of what expertise you would bring to this project
- A one-paged resume, summarizing work experience in the fields of project management or coordination for youth (summer camps experience considered an asset)
- A statement as to why you feel you would be right for this role
Submissions must be received by 12pm on July 16, 2021. Late submissions will not be considered.
The successful mentee will be selected by members of the FoSECPA Board of Directors in consultation with the SECPA General Manager. The selection will be final and the successful applicant will be notified by July 23, 2021.
Please note that only the successful applicant will be notified.
QUESTIONS AND MORE INFORMATION
For questions, or more information, please contact:
SECPA General Manager