Buffys 2021 — Call for Graphic Designer / Illustrator
Wood Buffalo Excellence in the Arts Awards
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Wood Buffalo Excellence in Arts Awards (Buffys) is an annual program that recognizes and celebrates excellence in various areas of the arts throughout our region. The program also builds awareness of the incredible contribution artists make to Wood Buffalo. Following the success of 2020, this year’s showcase continues to be a cinematic experience, which will include pre-recorded elements to be broadcast online on October 16, 2021.
Arts Council aims to hire a graphic designer / illustrator to create assets that support this year’s theme: Midnight in Technicolor. See last year’s Buffys presentation here: Buffys 2020: Midnight Steampunk
ABOUT THE COMMISSION
The hired Graphic Designer / Illustrator will be responsible for designing the following elements, in-line with this year’s theme: Midnight in Technicolor.
- Three (3) Character Illustrations — human and/or anthropomorphized characters, saved in 300 dpi in their own file. Each character needs to be full-body, even if it is cropped when used in event poster or film. Examples: Wendell the Raven, Zach Character, Liz Character, Nominations Poster
- 1 Event Title Logo — saved in 300 dpi, including the title: “Buffys 2021” and subtitle: “Wood Buffalo Excellence in Arts Awards” themed to Midnight in Technicolor. Example: Midnight Steampunk event logo
- Flat Design Elements — saved in digital format 300 dpi in either Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator, including the above 3 x Character Illustrations and Event Title Logo. Portions or all of these elements could be used for motion graphics in the film production of the Buffys. Example: Motion graphic event logo
- 1 x Save The Date — Theme Reveal Graphic. 8.5”x11”. This must be in digital format with 300dpi in either Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator. We require it to be in layers with all graphic elements separated. Example: Save the Date
- 1 x Event Poster Design — 11”x17”. This must be in digital format with 300dpi in either Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator. We require it to be in layers with all graphic elements separated. Consideration for space to include event sponsor logos will be required. Example: Midnight Steampunk Event Poster
- Graphic Designer / Illustrator will report to ACWB Communications Manager, Will Collins.
- Graphic Designer / Illustrator will be expected to collaborate with screenwriters and other Creative Team members, and potentially attend meetings to ensure that the design fits as part of a cohesive vision for this year’s awards showcase.
- ACWB staff will use, manipulate, change and adapt graphics for different sizes and mediums, both digital and in print, including online advertising, ACWB website, social media, printed materials, billboards, merchandise, decor, booklets, etc.
- Assets may also be used to create new graphics that have a purpose outside of event promotion, but as part of the overall event.
- All final graphic submissions must be 100% original, royalty-free and eligible for unrestricted use and manipulation for online and in print.
- Final typographic submissions may be 100% original or licensed, royalty-free and eligible for unrestricted use and manipulation for online and in print.
We ask artists to present their Fee for Service to us as part of their PDF submission (see above).
SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL
- Please watch this teaser from last year’s broadcast to familiarize yourself with the look and feel of the graphic design assets for the Buffys showcase, before submitting your proposal: 2020 Buffys Teaser
- All submissions must be emailed to Communications Manager, Will Collins at [email protected]
- Use the subject heading “Buffys Graphic Design / Illustration Proposal — [Your or Your Company’s Name]”
- All submissions must be emailed as one (1) compiled PDF, including the following information:
- Your name, contact phone number and home/company address
- Artistic statement — the philosophy behind how you approach your creative work (approximately 100 words).
- A summary of previous creative experiences which highlight the expertise you bring to this project.
- A brief overview of your proposed design style concepts for characters and event title logo for this year’s Buffys presentation. Ensure that this is in line with the requirements outlined under “About the Commission” above.
- A brief overview of your proposed typographic concepts for this year’s Buffys presentation: Midnight in Technicolor. Ensure that this is in line with the requirements outlined under “About the Commission” above.
- Examples of three (3) characters that you have designed in the past.
- Examples of three (3) logos that you have designed in the past.
- A suggested budget, including the following (and any additional) line-items: prep time, creative team meetings, design time. (This will serve as your Fee for Service – see FEE above.)
Submissions must be received by 12 p.m. on March 22, 2021. Late submissions will not be considered for hire.
Artists may be invited to interview. Selections will be made by the Arts Council Wood Buffalo staff. All selections will be final, and successful artists will be notified by March 26, 2021.
This event is a celebration of the arts and artists in the Wood Buffalo region and preference in hiring is given to artists that reside within the region. In the event that local Wood Buffalo artists are not available or do not respond to this call, artist residing within Alberta will be considered.
Please note that only artists(s) who are successful will be notified.
QUESTIONS AND MORE INFORMATION
For questions or more information, please contact Communications Manager, Will Collins at [email protected] or 587-674-1625 x.104.