Buffys 2023 – Call for Artistic Director
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Wood Buffalo Excellence in Arts Awards (Buffys) is an annual program that recognizes and celebrates excellence in various areas of the arts throughout our region. The program also builds awareness of the incredible contribution artists make to Wood Buffalo. This year’s showcase will be delivered in-person, allowing attendees ticketed-entry to the event. Arts Council will also professionally record the event for archival purposes — this will be made available to watch for free from home after the event is complete.
Arts Council aims to hire an Artistic Director to help bring this year’s event to life. This candidate will artistically direct two hosts (pre-selected and recruited by Arts Council) who will help emcee the event (introducing award announcers, performing artists, important delegates, etc.) in line with this year’s theme: Midnight at the Moulin Rouge. The Artistic Director is also responsible for working closely with the Set Designer to create a space for the Buffys that supports the Buffys narrative, and seamlessly weaves all performance and awards announcement elements together. The Artistic Director may choose whether to use improvisational techniques or to create their own scripted material to support the creation of their work.
- Artists must be Wood Buffalo residents for the duration of the project
- Artists must have demonstrable experience directing performing artists
ABOUT THE COMMISSION
- Arts Council is particularly interested in unique work, and preference will be given to engaging proposals from artists who have not already participated in the Buffys. The Buffys are a great place to be experimental and try things out, so we encourage artists to embrace their unique ideas and dream something up that fits “outside-the-box”.
- The performance will be presented in front of a live audience and recorded for viewers to watch later at home, with support from professional videographers commissioned and compensated by ACWB. The Artistic Director will realize their vision by collaborating with others, including videographers, project managers, set designers and performers.
- The Director will work with a Set Designer and Arts Council Programs Manager to collaborate on the vision for the stage design that will support this year’s event.
- All final submissions must be 100% original, royalty-free and free from risk of being flagged for copyright violations.
SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL
All submissions must be submitted through our online Opportunities Portal. Create an account, login and then click on the purple “Start Entry” button. You may begin drafting your proposal by selecting “Buffys – Artistic Director” as your category.
Submissions must be received by 12PM on April 26, 2023. Late submissions will not be considered for hire.
$1500.00, inclusive of GST.
Artists will be selected based on appropriateness for the program, cost, and quality. Priority will be given to artists who communicate clear, detailed concepts, with reasoning and feasibility provided to support their proposed performance.
Please note that only artists(s) who are successful will be notified.
Selections will be made by the Arts Council Wood Buffalo staff. All selections will be final, and successful artists will be notified by May 12, 2023.
QUESTIONS AND MORE INFORMATION
For questions or more information, please contact [email protected] or 587-674-1625.