Buffys 2022 — Call for Set Designer
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Wood Buffalo Excellence in Arts Awards (Buffys) is an annual program that recognizes and celebrates excellence in various areas of the arts throughout our region. The program also builds awareness of the incredible contribution artists make to Wood Buffalo. This year’s showcase will be delivered in a hybrid-format, allowing attendees ticketed entry to the event, or the option to watch for free from home. Arts Council aims to hire performing artists to create performances that will be showcased live, in-person and on camera through livestream at this year’s Awards Showcase on October 22, 2022.
During the pandemic, the awards were hosted online as a cinematic experience. Arts Council seeks to bring the excitement of this experience to an in-person event this year. Click here to view the 2020 and 2021 broadcasts respectively.
ABOUT THE COMMISSION
- Set Designer will be responsible for designing and building a set inspired by this year’s theme: Future Midnight. (see more below)
- The set will be built in the Suncor Energy Centre for the Performing Arts Black-box theatre, which will be set-up in banquet-style (round tables of 8 facing a raised platform stage). See sample rendering here. Arts Council encourages prospective designers to reconfigure the placement of these banquet tables in their proposal (e.g. your main-stage can be in the centre of the room with banquet tables around them, arena-style, etc.)
- The successful design will encompass the entire space (e.g. extend towards the dressings on banquet tables). Considerations in the design will also need to allow for periodic video projections to be seen from all banquet tables. Finally, the design will also need to work for in-person audiences, and audiences watching from home via livestream.
- Hired Set Designer will report to Arts Council Wood Buffalo Programs Manager Luay Eljamal.
- Set Designer will collaborate with other artists to ensure that the set opens up opportunities for “play” among the event hosts, and award presenters.
- A rough set rendering will be due to the Programs Manager on July 1, 2022. A final rendering of the set must be submitted to the Programs Manager by August 31, 2022. The design will be installed all day on October 20, 2022 (only). Designer is expected to be available for tech rehearsals on October 21 and 22, leading up to the event on the evening of October 22.
- Hired Set Designer will be expected to attend regular Creative Team meetings to ensure that a cohesive vision is maintained for this year’s awards showcase. These meetings will occur monthly, and may increase in frequency closer to the final event.
- Artists will realize this year’s vision by collaborating with others, including videographers, set designers, graphic designers, project managers, performers and nominated artists/artist groups.
- All final submissions must be 100% original, royalty-free and free from risk of being flagged for copyright violations.
ABOUT THE THEME
- This year’s Buffys theme is Future Midnight. Arts Council invites attendees to enter a large, immersive time machine (SECPA Blackbox Theatre), sit in their travel pods (banquet tables), and be teleported to the future, where the arts continue to thrive in Arts Council’s planned Arts Incubator. For more details on this concept, please contact Programs Manager Luay Eljamal at 587-674-1625 or [email protected]
ABOUT THE VENUE
- The 2022 Buffys presentation will take place inside the Suncor Energy Centre for the Performing Arts blackbox theatre.
- You will have access to 56 SC90 stage platforms to use towards your design. The dimensions of each platform 6’6” by 3’3”. There are 56 x 14” legs, 184 x 28” legs, 56 x 42” legs, 56 x 26” legs, and 32 x 70” legs. Please see link for example: https://www.stagingconcepts.com/products/platforms/sc90-platform/
- You will also have access to 16 step units, with which to assemble stairs. Each step affixes to the edge of a staging platform and is 7” high at the step, and is 48” wide. A 3D image of an example can be found here labelled as “Step Unit”: https://www.stagingconcepts.com/products/stair-units/
- You will have access to a premiere-style red carpet.
- You will also have access to Pipe and Drape.
SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL
- Please watch the following COVID-broadcast to familiarize yourself with the set of a typical Buffys showcase, before submitting your proposal: https://youtu.be/6KLIwmgNiZc
- All submissions must be submitted through our online Opportunities Portal. Create an account, login and then click on the purple “Start Entry” button. You may begin drafting your proposal by selecting “Buffys – Set Designer” as your category.
Submissions must be received by 12PM on May 31, 2022. Late submissions will not be considered for hire.
Arts Council Wood Buffalo is offering a fee of $7500 (including GST) to cover:
- All prep-time, conversations, and creation of design
- All materials and supplies
- Travel to and stay in Fort McMurray (if necessary)
- Transportation of all materials and supplies to Fort McMurray (if necessary)
- Leading the build and install of the set in the Suncor Energy Centre for the Performing Arts black-box theatre on October 22, 2022 (with support from Arts Council volunteers)
Other unforeseen costs may be approved at Arts Council’s discretion.
Artists may be invited to interview. Selections will be made by the Arts Council Wood Buffalo staff. All selections will be final.
Please note that only artists(s) who are successful will be notified.
QUESTIONS AND MORE INFORMATION
For questions or more information, please contact Programs Manager Luay Eljamal at [email protected] or 587-674-1625 x.102.