Arts in Action: Call for Young Artists (Ages 16-24)
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Arts in Action program provides opportunities for Seniors to engage in the arts through activity-based workshops with Teaching Artists. Young Artists (aged 16-24) will be mentored by Teaching Artists, through the development of a workshop series, as a way of building youth capacity and educating them on the value Seniors and Elders bring to our community. The Young Artist will support the Teaching Artist to host three workshops, over the course of four weeks, specific to a particular artform (i.e.: Garage Band Workshop Series, Improv Workshop Series, Watercolour Workshop Series, etc). Arts Council invites Young Artists of varying disciplines to submit proposals through our online Opportunities Portal detailing experience they have in their artform, and why they would be interested in this paid mentorship opportunity.
- Artist must reside in the Wood Buffalo Region
- Artist must between the ages of 16-24
- Artist must have some experience creating art within a particular artform
ABOUT THE COMMISSION
- Arts Council is interested in finding a young artist who has a true passion for the arts and a willingness to learn and be mentored by an artist
- The young artist must be comfortable engaging with Seniors or Elders in a workshop format, as well as working with them to create new art pieces that will be produced in the workshop
- The young artist must be able to support the Teaching Artist in facilitating their workshop, as needed, to ensure workshops are conducted at the highest possible standard.
- Arts Council will be inviting Artists to submit calls for workshops that will take place within two different “seasons”:
- Summer/Fall 2023: Workshops will run between July 17, 2023 and October 31, 2023
- Winter 2023-24: November 2023 – March 2024
The work media must be teachable and engaging to Seniors or Elders. Teaching Artforms may include, but are not limited to:
SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL
All submissions must be submitted through our online Opportunities Portal. Create an account, login and then click on the purple “Start Entry” button. You may begin drafting your proposal by selecting “Arts in Action — Young Artist” as your category. Some artists may be invited to a brief interview.
Submissions must be submitted by noon on May 29, 2023. Late submissions will not be considered for hire.
Arts Council will compensate the Young Artists a fee of $1000.00 (including GST) for supporting the Teaching Artist in developing and facilitating up to two 3-4 hour workshops spaced out over the course of 4 weeks.
The Young Artists (16-24) will be selected based on their experience in their artform, their willingness to learn from another artist and participate and engage in workshops with Seniors. Past experience working with Seniors or Elders, would be considered an asset.
Please note that only artists(s) who are successful will be notified.
Selections will be made by Arts Council Wood Buffalo staff. All selections will be final, all successful artists will be notified by June 16th, 2023.
QUESTIONS AND MORE INFORMATION
For questions or more information on this opportunity please contact Programs Coordinator, Byron Gard at email@example.com or (587) 674-1625 x.101