Artists and Education Funding
This funding supports Alberta schools by subsidizing fees of professional Alberta artists of any artistic discipline that provide interactive arts residency projects for grades K-12.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 1, 2023
Who can apply
Individual eligibility criteria
To be eligible for this funding, applicants must be:
- an Alberta school or school jurisdiction recognized by Alberta Education
- operating on a full-time basis
- for students in kindergarten through Grade 12
Two or more eligible schools may apply to collaborate on a project when school populations, locations or conditions warrant.
What does this grant support
The May deadline is for projects taking place in the next school year.
Eligible residency projects must meet the following criteria:
- engage either an Alberta-based individual artist, or a group of artists working together in any artistic discipline who has school residency experience to deliver a program
- provide students access to Alberta’s professional artists and their work
- provide an opportunity for students to observe and actively participate in the creative process
- encourage students to discover and express their creative potential
- take place on school property during school hours
- be five hours to thirty days in duration
- be completed within three months of its commencement date
The maximum grant will not exceed $15,000.
- schools located in the following jurisdictions can apply for up to 50% of the artist’s fee (excluding GST)
- St. Albert
- Sherwood Park
- Fort Saskatchewan
- Spruce Grove
- Stony Plain
- all other jurisdictions can apply for up to 75% of the artist’s fee (excluding GST)
Artist’s fee may include travel, accommodation, meal expenses and non-reusable materials required for the proposed activity (e.g. paint, paper, clay, wood, data storage).
Expenses and activities that are ineligible for AFA funding include:
- activity undertaken before an application is submitted to this project grant stream.
- activities by applied arts (culinary, architecture, graphic arts, commercial photography, gaming), commercial variety acts (face painting, balloon entertainers, fireworks/pyrotechnics, hypnotism), competitive performances and activities at social events