The AFC supports entertainment industry professionals working in TV and film, music, theatre, and dance. The AFC can provide short-term emergency financial assistance for essential household bills and costs that cannot otherwise be paid.
This assistance is based on immediate financial need. Their goal is to help the largest possible number of applicants with their most critical needs.
Right now, they are focusing on making sure that people stay stable and basic needs are met for the next 2-3 weeks.
The AFC does not provide compensation for lost earnings.
To receive financial assistance, you need to:
- Be professionally eligible;
- Demonstrate immediate financial need;
- Pursue all other avenues of support;
- Provide the required documentation.
Am I professionally eligible?
You are professionally eligible if you:
- Are working age and have earned the majority of your income from entertainment industry work in 2019
- Are over 65 and have earned the majority of your income from the industry over your working life
If you do not meet these guidelines exactly, they still encourage you to apply. They are aiming to help as many people as possible during this crisis.
Do I meet the guidelines for immediate financial need?
- Do you have enough money in the bank to meet your basic needs for the next 4-8 weeks?If no, The AFC may be able to help.
- If you have enough money in the bank for two months of living expenses, we ask you not to apply at this time. Your request will be deferred to avoid overloading our system.
- Are you unable to meet your basic needs because other resources like EI, government benefits, and pensions are not available or insufficient? If yes, The AFC may be able to help.
- Do you currently have a specific need (like medical costs or a dental emergency) that would leave you unable to meet your basic needs for the next month? If yes, The AFC may be able to help.
What are basic needs?
Basic needs include rent or mortgage payments, food, utilities, phone bill, car payments, car and home insurance, or medical expenses.
How much money can I get?
- The dollar amount will depend on your immediate basic needs and your monthly expenses.
- It is common for people to receive only part of their request.
- Smaller requests (under $1,500) will be processed faster; however, if you need more, we encourage you to ask for what you need.
Can I apply more than once?
- You will be advised when your application is reviewed.
- If you reapply, they will ask you to report on all measures you have taken to access other resources and to defer or reduce payments since your last application.