#GivingTuesdayNow is a global day of giving and unity. On May 5, 2020, all Canadians are invited to demonstrate the power of kindness and generosity as part of an emergency response to the unprecedented need caused by COVID-19.
Giving Tuesday through the Arts in Wood Buffalo
ACWB is inviting Wood Buffalo residents, businesses, and organizations to participate in Giving Tuesday on a local scale by becoming an Arts Champion. This movement aims to support the ongoing response to COVID-19, recovery from flooding in downtown Fort McMurray, and the well-being of residents across the region.
Creativity and artistic activities are effective strategies for making sense of chaos. You can support yourself and others through the arts by being an ACWB member, sponsor, donor, or volunteer. Take part in this regional movement and ACW-Be an Arts Champion for Wood Buffalo.
What is an Arts Champion?
Why be an Arts Champion?
Countless studies show that the arts contribute to a better quality of life. Arts and creativity also provide opportunity for professional development, and healthy ways to bring communities together – even at a distance.
The arts help make a space for everyone’s voice. We can all be part of the conversations that will make our lives better and create equal access to programming in our region, so we are all on equal footing to be successful.
The support of Arts Champions will help ACWB advocate to all levels of government for the arts. In addition, Arts Champions help ACWB to work with other arts organizations across the province and country to support the Wood Buffalo region.
Not an Artist, but want to be an Arts Champion?
You don’t need to be an artist to be an Arts Champion. All you need is a passion for making our artistic community more inclusive. You don’t even need to identify with the word ‘artist’ to support creativity, culture, conversation, and connection for everyone in the region.
ACWB Membership Bank
Everyone can be an Arts Champion, but not everyone has the financial means to support the arts. So we have created a new Membership Bank to help ensure everyone can be an Arts Champion. Financial donations made to ACWB in May 2020 will go towards the Membership Bank. This will help make memberships barrier-free, so anyone in the region can have access to the benefits of ACWB membership and be a part of the unified voice for the arts in Wood Buffalo.
How to Access the Membership Bank
Are you a Wood Buffalo resident with a desire to be an Arts Champion? Send an email to the ACWB Engagement Coordinator, Hanna Fridhed, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 587-674-1625 x.101 to access the bank of free 1-year memberships. She will get in touch with you so you can register (for free), and we can get your contact information to activate your membership.
Tax Benefits for Donations
Financial donations to the Membership Bank will result in two things: 1) membership opportunities for those that don’t currently have a membership; 2) a tax receipt for donations of $50 and more, so it can be claimed on your tax return.
Six Ways to be an Arts Champion
2) Sponsor programs or Awards. You can sponsor an award for the annual Wood Buffalo Excellence in Arts Awards (held in the fall each year). You or your business can sponsor one of our existing programs, or pitch a new program that supports the arts community. To pitch a new program idea, contact the ACWB Programs Manager, Luay Eljamal, at email@example.com or (587) 674-1625 ext. 102. To sponsor an award or program, visit our Support Us page to see opportunities.
3) Buy a membership. Buy a membership for yourself or your organization. You can get one for yourself, gift one to a fellow artist, or even get a membership for your organization.
4) Renew your membership. Due to the financial pressures on the community from the COVID-19 situation, we have been deferring active membership renewal payments until November 30, 2020. Members that were active before May 2020 will remain an active member until November 30. We’ll follow up with extended members before memberships expire to help you stay connected to the arts community. You’re also welcome to pay for your membership renewal as you normally would, should it expire before November.
5) Apply to the Membership Bank. Do you want to become a member, but can’t afford membership fees? Send an email to the ACWB Engagement Coordinator, Hanna Fridhed, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 587-674-1625 x.101 to access the bank of free 1-year memberships. Hanna will get in touch with you so you can register (for free), and we can get your contact information to activate your membership.
6) Volunteer with ACWB. Sometimes we need volunteers help to deliver programs and events. Sign up to be added to our volunteer database. We’ll contact you when we have opportunities.
Thank You for being an Arts Champion
On behalf of the ACWB Board of Directors and Staff, thank you for contributing to a remarkable quality of life through the arts by being an Arts Champion.
Questions about how to ACW-Be an Arts Champion?
Contact the ACWB Engagement Coordinator, Hanna Fridhed, at email@example.com or 587-674-1625 ext.101.