Buffys 2021 – Call for Screenwriter
Wood Buffalo Excellence in the Arts Awards
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Wood Buffalo Excellence in Arts Awards (Buffys) is an annual program that recognizes and celebrates excellence in various areas of the arts throughout our region. The program also builds awareness of the incredible contribution artists make to Wood Buffalo. Following the success of 2020, this year’s showcase continues to be a cinematic experience, which will include pre-recorded elements to be broadcast online on October 16, 2021.
Arts Council aims to hire a screenwriter to write a narrative to support this year’s theme: Midnight in Technicolor. See last year’s Buffys presentation here: Buffys 2020: Midnight Steampunk
ABOUT THE COMMISSION
Artists will be responsible for writing a screenplay that will be filmed as part of this year’s Buffys presentation.
- Screenplay will weave together characters in a narrative that includes the following elements:
- Characters must introduce the announcement of 14 award categories.
- Characters must introduce up to 6 performances in a way that incorporates them into the main storyline.
- Screenplay must take place in a limited number of imagined settings/location(s) that are feasible for hired set designer to build at the Suncor Energy Centre for the Performing Arts.
- Narrative must support this year’s theme of Midnight in Technicolor.
- Screenplay must not exceed 30 minutes in length (with other elements—such as speeches, award presentations, performances—total length should approximate 1 hr and 45 minutes).
- Screenwriter will collaborate with Set Designer in creating an environment that is feasible to build.
- A first working draft of the screenplay must be submitted to the Programs Manager by May 1, 2021. This will be used to audition and hire performers, as well as to begin set design considerations.
- A final edit of the screenplay must be submitted by July 31, 2021.
- Hired screenwriter will report to Arts Council Wood Buffalo Programs Manager, Luay Eljamal.
- Hired screenwriter will be expected to attend regular Creative Team meetings to ensure that a cohesive vision is maintained for this year’s awards showcase. These meetings will occur monthly, and may increase in frequency closer to the final event.
- Artists will realize this year’s vision by collaborating with others, including videographers, set designers, graphic designers, project managers, performers and nominated artists/artist groups.
- All final submissions must be 100% original, royalty-free and free from risk of being flagged for copyright violations.
SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL
- Please watch last year’s broadcast to familiarize yourself with the sequence of a typical Buffys showcase, before submitting your proposal: Buffys 2020: Midnight Steampunk
- All submissions must be emailed to Programs Manager Luay Eljamal at [email protected]
- Use the subject heading “Buffys Screenwriter Proposal — [Your or Your Company’s Name]”
- All submissions must be emailed as one (1) compiled PDF, including the following information:
- Your name, contact phone number and home/company address.
- Artistic statement — the philosophy behind how you approach your creative work.
- A summary of previous creative experiences which highlight the expertise you bring to this project.
- A summary of your proposed narrative for this year’s Buffys presentation, including character descriptions and a detailed summary of plot. Ensure that this is in line with the requirements outlined under “About the Commission” above.
- Excerpts from 2 screenplays that you have written in the past (max 4 pages each).
- A suggested budget, including the following (and any additional) line-items: prep time, creative team meetings, writing time. (This will serve as your Fee for Service).
- Please familiarize yourself with the format of last year’s script here: Midnight Steampunk – Script with units.
We ask artists to present their Fee for Service to us as part of their PDF submission (see above).
Submissions must be received by 12PM on March 22, 2021. Late submissions will not be considered for hire.
Artists may be invited to interview. Selections will be made by the Arts Council Wood Buffalo staff. All selections will be final, and successful artists will be notified by March 26, 2021.
This event is a celebration of the arts and artists in the Wood Buffalo region and preference in hiring is given to artists that reside within the region. In the event that local Wood Buffalo artists are not available or do not respond to this call, artist residing within Alberta will be considered.
Please note that only artists(s) who are successful will be notified.
QUESTIONS AND MORE INFORMATION
For questions or more information, please contact Programs Manager Luay Eljamal at [email protected] or 587-674-1625 x.102.