Call for Black and/or Indigenous Playwrights
Nightswimming is inviting proposals from Black and/or Indigenous artists for the commission and creation of a full-length new work. They will work with the commissioned artist to design a process to develop it in full collaboration and with a focus on ensuring that the commissioned artist is empowered to work how they wish, with whom they want, and in the ways that are essential to its creation. Because Nightswimming does not self-produce the works they commission, they devote all of their time and resources to supporting the unique creation process of each new work. They commit to establishing, in consultation with each artist, partnerships with producers to ensure each work reaches the audiences you want to impact.
What Nightswimming can offer:
- A custom designed creation and development process from inception to premiere, free from the pressure of production deadlines
- An interdisciplinary environment in which they welcome projects in theatre, dance, music and forms that cross over and integrate those disciplines
- On-going dramaturgical support designed for and in collaboration with the creator
- A commitment to long-term creative relationships
- Access to a community of artists whose work they support dramaturgically on every level
- Opportunities for readings, workshops and/or studio sessions to develop your work with other artistic collaborators including but not limited to performers, designers, or musicians
- $20,000 commission fee
Who can apply?
- Creators who self-identity as Black or Indigenous (First Nations, Inuit, or Métis)
- Artists creating in any performance discipline including but not limited to: music, dance, and theatre
- Emerging, mid-career, and established creators
- Artists who are currently a Canadian resident
Deadline: October 16, 2020