Buffys 2021 — Call for Arts Awards Creation
Wood Buffalo Excellence in the Arts Awards
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Wood Buffalo Excellence in Arts Awards (Buffys) is an annual program that recognizes and celebrates excellence in various areas of the arts throughout our region. The program also builds awareness of the incredible contribution artists make to Wood Buffalo. Following the success of 2020, this year’s showcase continues to be a cinematic experience, which will include pre-recorded elements to be broadcast online on October 16, 2021. Arts Council aims to hire an artist to create this year’s Awards. The awards will be debuted as part of the events showcase on October 16, 2021, and distributed to the award recipients shortly after.
ABOUT THE COMMISSION
ACWB seeks to select one Wood Buffalo artist to create fourteen (14) awards, one for each of the following categories: Arts Administration, Arts Education, Creative Collaboration, Ken Flaherty Music Award, Dance, Performing Arts, Indigenous Arts, Visual Arts, Fine Craft, Literary Arts, Media Arts, Rising Star, Arts Champion, and Lifetime Achievement.
- Hired artist will report to Arts Council Wood Buffalo Programs Manager Luay Eljamal.
- Artists may submit one design for all fourteen categories, or can propose slight alterations on the main design for each category.
- Work must be 2D, 3D artwork or fine craft, which reflect the themes of: the Wood Buffalo region; excellence in the arts; culture of creativity.
- Each piece must incorporate the title of the award that they represent (i.e. Arts Administration, Arts Education…)
- The final finished awards must be delivered to ACWB no later than 4PM on August 17, 2021
- All final submissions must be 100% original, royalty-free and free from risk of being flagged for copyright violations.
SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL
- All submissions must be emailed to Programs Manager Luay Eljamal at [email protected]
- Use the subject heading “Buffys Awards Creation Proposal — [Your or Your Company’s Name]”
- All submissions must be emailed as one (1) compiled PDF, including the following information:
- Your name, contact phone number and home/company address
- Artistic statement — the philosophy behind how you approach your creative work
- A summary of previous creative experiences which highlight the expertise you bring to this project
- Exactly three (3) samples of past art or design work
- Drawings/renderings of your proposed award design for this year’s Awards.
$150 per award for a total of $2100, inclusive of GST.
Submissions must be received by 12PM on April 30, 2021. Late submissions will not be considered for hire.
Selections will be made by the Arts Council Wood Buffalo staff. All selections will be final, and successful artists will be notified by May 7, 2021.
This event is a celebration of the arts and artists in the Wood Buffalo region and preference in hiring is given to artists that reside within the region. In the event that local Wood Buffalo artists are not available or do not respond to this call, artist residing within Alberta will be considered.
Please note that only artists(s) who are successful will be notified.
QUESTIONS AND MORE INFORMATION
For questions or more information, please contact Programs Manager Luay Eljamal at [email protected] or 587-674-1625 x.102.