ARTIST IN RESIDENCY – ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The ACWB Artist in Residency & Mentorship Program follows the traditional residency model, in which non-local or local professional artists spend time creating work inspired by the environment, culture and people of Wood Buffalo.
This iteration sees Carla White engaging as the Fall 2020 Artist in Residence, and aims to support Carla in developing a script dramatizing the events, demographics, learnings, and community-building that arose out of the 2016 Horse River Wildfire. The project will end in a stage reading of White’s final script.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
This is a paid opportunity. Artist Fee details are outlined below:
- To direct a staged reading of a new work from emerging Fort McMurray-based playwright, Carla White, about the Horse River Wildfire.
- The work will be performed in Fort McMurray, AB, with a cast of local actors with three nights of rehearsal per week for two weeks. Rehearsals from November 30 to December 11 with the public staged reading on December 11.
- To provide a workshop (directing or a similar skill) to residents of Fort McMurray to align with the mentorship mandate of the Artist in Residency program.
- Director must be willing to travel to Fort McMurray for a two-week period of rehearsals and one workshop.
- Director must be willing to sign a daily COVID-19 digital declaration and check their temperature before each rehearsal.
- Accepting submissions from all local and Alberta artists.
- Available from November 29 – December 12 (travel dates included).
- An all-inclusive fee of $1,500.00 (including GST) will be paid to the artist for their time on the project.
- Travel, accommodation, and per diem will be provided to the artist.
The deadline for submissions is October 12, 2020.
Email your submissions to the Artist in Residency Project Coordinator Geoff Jones at [email protected], with the following information:
- Theatre Resume or CV
- Cover Letter summarizing:
- Your directing pedagogy
- Your experience directing new works, detailing how you choose to help new playwrights see their visions on stage for the first time.
- An overview of your availability from November to December 2020.
QUESTIONS AND MORE INFORMATION
For questions or more information, please contact the Artist in Residency Project Coordinator, Geoff Jones at [email protected].