Calling Wood Buffalo Artists of all disciplines, as well as Seniors & Elders (+60 years of age): ACWB will be hiring Artists based on accepted applications until all opportunities are filled. Seniors and Elders are also welcome to register until all opportunities are filled.
UPDATE (August 17, 2020): Please be advised that we are still accepting applications, however, new pairings are currently on hold until late September, 2020.
We’re paying for Wood Buffalo Artists to create art with local Seniors & Elders.
“The Art of Conversation” is a collaborative project by Arts Council Wood Buffalo and St. Aidan’s Society for Artists, Seniors and Elders in the Wood Buffalo region.
Arts Council is paying to commission Artists of various disciplines in the local community to engage in phone conversations with Wood Buffalo’s isolated Seniors and Elders. The Artists and (optionally) Seniors and Elders will then create new art inspired by the stories that are shared.
The phone call and Artists’ creation process will be documented to be shared through Arts Council communications, and the Artist’s completed pieces (e.g., song, short story, paintings, craft, and animation) will be shared with the Senior or Elder with whom the piece was created.
About the Commission
- This is a paid opportunity. Artist Fee details are outlined below.
- Artists will self-lead phone conversations with Seniors or Elders in the community.
- Artists will self-document the conversations and art creation process in a format that is agreed upon with ACWB (e,g., video, written documentation, photographs, or other medium), which will then be sent to ACWB .
- Artists will then create a new piece of art with the goal of sharing with the Seniors or Elders digitally (and potentially in person once the quarantine is over).
- The artwork may be photographed, and/or used in advertising and promotions.
- The original artwork becomes property of ACWB.
Artists must be Wood Buffalo residents for the duration of the project.
There are no limits on the type of media accepted for this artist call. We encourage local Artists to think outside the box, and let us know how they envision the art form of their preference complementing the project.
Art forms may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Original music or song compositions
- Video and interactive art
- Short stories or poems
- 2D or 3D artwork / fine craft
- Digital art
Finished Art Pieces
Completed art pieces and recorded videos need to be delivered to ACWB within 8 weeks from the first conversation between the Artist, Senior or Elder. This may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
An all inclusive fee of $400 per commission (including GST) will be paid to the Artist, covering all prep-time, conversations, creation of artwork, materials and supplies.
How to Submit for this Opportunity
Email your submissions to Programs Manager Luay Eljamal at [email protected], with the following information:
- Your name and contact phone number
- Description of your preferred art form and how you believe it will support the project (200 words max)
- Description of how you will choose to present your art form, and how it will be shared with ACWB (e.g., a poem printed and framed; a song performed on video or a music file, etc.)
- A list of accomplishments or CV
- Exactly three (3) digital samples of previous work
We’re also looking for Seniors & Elders (60+) to create art with local artists.
Seniors and Elders are Invited to Participate
We encourage any local Senior or Elder above the age of 60 years to register. Please inform and invite anyone you might know who would be interested in creating art from a distance or having stimulating conversation.
Seniors and Elders will receive an art supply kit (safely) through St. Aidan’s established meal-delivery program, should they also wish to create art in addition to conversing with a local Artist.
Deadline for submissions: ACWB will be hiring Artists based on accepted applications and accepting until all opportunities are filled. Seniors and Elders are also welcome to register until all opportunities are filled.
Questions and More Information
For questions or more information, please contact Programs Manager Luay Eljamal at [email protected] or 587-674-1625 x.102
Download posters to promote this program with your networks.